Kake's Cotton Slippers
I need washable cotton slippers in various sizes (for houseguests).
Knitted moccasin slippers using my Italian 6-ply cotton and 5mm needles. These are OK, I guess, but a bit shapeless. They might be better with stretchier yarn such as wool, but I need to be able to wash these at a high temperature, so I'm basically stuck with cotton, which is fairly inflexible.
The above, but with doubled-up yarn and 4.5mm needles. This was better; they were stiffer and actually stood up on their own. They ended up too small for me, though, so I abandoned this pattern because Sarah had pointed out...
Mountain Form slippers, 4.5mm needles, 6-ply Italian cotton.
I initially tried them as-written but hated the heel bump and the asymmetry of the KTBL (knit through back of loop) line. I started again using patternwhisperer's heel mod and Judy's magic cast-on, and eliminating the KTBL. I also did a hard-to-explain thing at the start of the rib section, pulling up the stitch from the row below and purling it with the current stitch, to eliminate a hole at the right of the joined part.
Size K (fits Kake): Work almost as written but make some sections shorter and also stop decreasing when 18 stitches remain.
Size M: Work as written (with amendments noted above).